Changes to Council's Management Structure
Report of the Chief Executive attached.
Officers present at the meeting that were directly affected by the management restructure declared prejudicial interests in this item, and left the meeting during the consideration thereof.
The Chief Executive briefed members on the proposals for changes to the Council’s Management structure, including the proposed expansion of Shared Services with Chorley Council, outlining the drivers for change and the outcome of the consultation process.
Members had the opportunity to
ask questions of the Chief Executive before the Leader, Councillor
Peter Mullineaux, formally moved the
recommendations, seconded by Councillor Colin Clark, Portfolio
holder for Corporate Support and Assets that Members agree
1) Implement the proposed new management structure shown in paragraph 7.3 of the report and amend the Councils Pay Policy 2017/18 to reflect the proposals in paragraph 8.2.
2) Endorse the ambition to create a culture of continual improvement, growth and opportunity providing an environment where staff feel supported and proud to work.
3) Work to develop a close working relationship with Chorley Council with the ultimate aim and joint ambition to develop full shared services serving two independent and sovereign councils.
4) Approve the creation of the following Senior Shared Services Officer posts:
v Deputy Chief Executive Officer (Resources and Transformation)
v Director of Legal and Democratic Services
v Assistant Director of Legal Services
v Director of Finance and Assurance Services
v Assistant Director of Finance and Assurance Services
v Director of Policy, HR and Communications
5) Designate the new post of Director of Finance and Assurance Services (Shared Services) as the Council’s Statutory Finance Officer, in accordance with s 151 of the Local Government Act 1972
6) Designate the new post of the Director of Legal and Democratic Services (Shared Services) as the Council’s Statutory Monitoring officer, in accordance with s5 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
7) Delegate authority to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader and members of the Shared Service Joint Committee, to finalise and agree a new shared service agreement.
8) Confirm the requirement to retain a Head of Paid Service and Chief Executive for South Ribble Council.
9) Approve the appointments process for shared posts set out in Appendix 1 the Shared Service Joint Committee Report. For Shared Chief Officers (Tier 2 and Statutory Officer posts) to agree to a Joint Member Panel drawn equally from both Councils (Leader, Deputy Leader and Leader of the Opposition).
10) Delegate to the Chief Executive the authority to implement the Council’s approved Redundancy Policy in accordance with the guidelines within the policy.
11) Permit substitute members to attend the Shared Services Joint Committee (one named substitute Member to be appointed, for each political group, at each Council)
In moving the recommendations Councillor Mullineaux welcomed the report and proposed structure, which he felt not only gave the authority the financial savings needed going forward, but would also bring much needed stability to the Council after a difficult period for the authority. He noted that in developing the proposals there ... view the full minutes text for item 46