Report of the Chief Executive attached.
Further to Minute No. 83 of the Council meeting held on 17 January 2018, the Council considered the report of the Chief Executive which gave details of progress made in developing the operating models for the expansion of shared services and sought approval to the next steps, informed by the recommendations of the Joint Shared Services Committee meeting held on 11 January 2018.
It was moved by Councillor Colin Clark, seconded by Councillor Phil Smith.
That the recommendations set out in the report be approved.
In moving the report Councillor Colin Clark commented that this matter had already been delayed too long which risked the delivery of the Council’s Corporate Plan. He indicated that the proposed structure was largely in line with that presented in January 2018. Albeit with the post of Deputy Chief Executive (Resources and Transformation) now not been shared and the posts of two previous Assistant Director had been merged.
However, concerns were expressed by Councillor Paul Foster that the recommendations in the subsequent reports since November 2017 had changed; the changes to the post and job description of the Deputy Chief Executive (Resources and Transformation) and concern with the process. Councillor Colin Clark indicated he had referred to the proposed structure; there had been additional recommendations; the appointment of an Interim Section 151 Officer was to cover until the substantive post was filled and the inclusion of an accountancy qualification was set out in the report.
The Council was advised that the permanent appointment of a Section 151 Officer would be through the Council’s Appointment and Employment Panel. However, in respect of the appointment of an Interim Section 151 Officer this could be as set out in the report.
Following the ensuing debate, it was:
RESOLVED: (For: 22, Against: 1, Abstain: 21):
(1) the operating model recommended by the Joint Shared Services Committee be approved;
(2) the refreshed shared services senior management structure recommended by the Joint Shared Services Committee be approved;
(3) the expanded scope of shared services be approved;
(4) approval be given to the recommendation from the Joint Services Committee that the following four shared service posts are subject to a member appointment process:
1. Director of Finance and Assurance Services (Section 151 Officer)
2. Assistant Director of Finance and Assurance Services (Deputy Section 151 Officer)
3. Director of Legal, Human Resources and Democratic Services (Monitoring Officer)
4. Assistant Director of Legal and Human Resources (Deputy Monitoring Officer);
(5) approval be given to the post of Deputy Chief Executive for Resources and Shared Services Transformation being employed solely by South Ribble Borough Council and not being a shared post;
(6) approval be given to the role of Director of Policy, HR and Communications, previously a shared post, being merged with the Director of Customer and Digital into a new Director of Communications, Customer, Digital and Policy , which will be employed solely by South Ribble Borough Council and therefore not be a shared post; and
(7) approval be given to the interim arrangements for the Council’s Section 151 Officer, to be allocated to the Deputy Chief Executive position, until the post of Director of Finance and Assurance Services (Section 151 Officer) is permanently recruited to.