Venue: Wheel Room, Civic Centre, West Paddock, Leyland PR25 1DH
Contact: Andy Houlker Wheel Room, Civic Centre, West Paddock, Leyland PR25 1DH
Welcome and Introduction
Councillor Nelson (Vice-chairman of the General Licensing Committee) will welcome those present.
Councillor Nelson (Vice-chair of the General Licensing Committee) welcomed those present.
To receive the notes of the forum held on 26 October 2017.
The note of the last forum held on 26 October 2017 was received.
Presentation - Update/changes to the Licensing Policy & Issues for the Trade
To receive a presentation by the Licensing Manager.
The forum received a presentation informing on the recent key issues affecting the taxi trade following the last meeting of the forum and the recent meeting of the General Licensing Committee (GLC).
It was intended the forum would meet quarterly after a meeting of the GLC.
Matters for the trade included:
- roadworthiness of modified vehicles – report to be considered by the GLC on 20 February
- wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV) – no driver exemptions received and designated list published and now a criminal offence to discriminate in any way against a wheelchair passenger compared to an able bodied passenger
- safeguarding training (drivers) – remaining drivers now obliged to complete online course during February 2018
2) Licensing Policy - imminent changes
- vaping – now included in no smoking rule / signage to be displayed (whether combined or separate signage was being looked at)
- safeguarding (operators) – ensure dispatch staff do the online course, keep training records and they are available to Council staff
Report to adopt these amendments to the Licensing Policy was to go to Council on 21 March
3) Upcoming Consultations with the Trade
- drivers’ professional qualification – details on Council’s website, period from 1 February 2018 for 28 days any comments welcome
- differential age limits for licensed vehicles – working group set up to examine at 2.30pm on 22 February with a disabled group representative and, looking for 2 Trade representatives (David Cox/Scott Washington)
Topics Submitted by the Trade
To discuss the topics raised and the Council’s responses.
The forum was circulated with a copy of the responses to the four matters raised at the last meeting of the forum. In addition an extract from the minutes of the GLC meeting held on 21 October 2014 relating to Amendment of Criteria for Hackney Carriage Vehicles to be Wheelchair Accessible was circulated.
The Trade raised the following matters which it was agreed unless otherwise stated below that they would be looked at further and a response provided:
- hackney carriage vehicle licences – the transfer of vehicle licences and retention of grandfather rights
- digital/GPS taximeters – whilst this was included in the Council’s circulated response, further concerns were raised about their accuracy/operation (extras/trip change/tariffs)/security/use in hackney carriages
- measured mile – checking of taximeters in some recently licensed vehicles
- intended use policy – the operation/purpose of this was further explained
- CCTV In-Cab – it was confirmed that report on options was to be considered by GLC on 20 February
- drivers’ professional qualification – further concerns were expressed at the inability of operators to recruit drivers and there were also concerns that a possible relaxation/period of grace undermined the licensing regime – the meeting was reminded that no decision had been made and at this stage the Council was only consulting (01/02/18 for 28 days) and a report would then be considered by the GLC and going forward other options might be considered
- length of vehicle licences – at the last meeting there had been a request to consider a return to a 12 month vehicle licence
Date and Time of Next Forum
It is suggested that the next meeting of the forum be held in the Wheel Room at 5.00pm on Thursday, 3 May 2018.
There was discussion around the suitable timing of the forum that was convenient for the Trade to attend.
It was agreed that the next forum would be held at 11.00am on Thursday 3 May 2018.